Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Not a Survivor But an Overcomer




I am not a big fan of numbers, especially odds and statistics. It certainly has it's place in sports but for life in general, nope, don't care for it. Whether it's war, diseases, or natural disasters, everything is related to numbers. When things happen in our world, everyone looks to the total number, those that survived and those that didn't. Thankfully God doesn't view us that way!
When it comes to diseases like cancer, I don't like to use the word survivor because it places you in a statistical category. I prefer to use an overcomer.And there is an extreme difference in the two. Survivor means: continue in existence. Where as an overcomer means:conquer, defeat, to prevail over.
Breast cancer kills more women in the U.S. than any other cancer except lung cancer. Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common among American men. Unfortunately I have had to deal with cancer within my friends and family. One of my best friend's died of breast cancer when she was at the young age of 32. Shortly thereafter, my mom was stricken with the disease. My mom overcame it not once, but twice!

One of the first things we seem to want to ask God is "Why?"

My next 3 blog posts will be excerpts of a testimony by my good buddy Rev. Ray Hendrickson, who overcame prostate cancer. His was so extreme he should not be here today, but God had a different plan for him. Along with Rev. Ray, there are a handful of men at our church who are overcomers of this disease. And I am totally honored and blessed to be around these great men of God. Rev. Ray's testimony also provides great insight on the questions we approach God with , such as: Why is this happening to me?,What have I done wrong? how do I deal with doctors, medicine, treatment, healing?

I ask that if you know anyone who is dealing with cancer of any form, or someone in their family,that you may direct them to my blog (http://www.saysotheredeemed.blogspot.com/) Rev. Ray's testimony will not only impact you,but encourage you.















No comments:

Post a Comment