Saturday, June 20, 2009

World's Greatest Dad


As I was looking for a Fathers day card the other day I saw a card saying "World's Greatest Dad #9,000,000,000". Yes, each of us have the right to claim our dad as number one. This reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gave his dad a t-shirt that said #1 Dad!

His dad was so proud of that shirt that he would not take it off. He wore it everywhere. Then he meets Izzy Mandelbaum who quickly exclaims,

"What the heck is that shirt? You think you're the number one dad?"

Jerry's dad proudly claims, "This was a gift from my son!"

Later,Izzy Mandelbaum outdoes him by wearing a "World's Greatest Dad" t-shirt and boasts, "My son made this shirt for me. Which now means I'm better than number one!"


As a youngster growing up there were times when I didn't hear my dad verbally say that he loved me, but I knew and perceived it through his actions: making sure there was food on the table for us to eat, clothes to wear, a roof over our heads, took us to the doctor when we needed it, made sure we got an education, took us to church. These are all acts of love.


Even though we may not hear our Heavenly Father vocally say "I Love You",we know and can perceive it through His actions: His Son dying on the cross for our sins, the grace He gives when we make a mistake, His providing for our every need.


For you did not receive the Spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father". (Rom.8:15)


In modern Hebrew the word Abba means daddy.


I am sure my dad won't be angry with my claim that, "God is the World's Greatest Dad".





No comments:

Post a Comment