Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A $20 Say So and An Angel With a Gas Can

It wasn't going very well a couple of days ago when I set out to do some errands, so I put 'em off for a day. Lo and behold, it was a blessing and God saved me $20. As I went to get gas after work Tuesday I noticed the dreaded nail in the tire. I contemplated going across the street to get it fixed but decided to try my luck and go do my errands near home then go to the Firestone where I had previously bought my tires. Once inside to get my tire fixed, they informed me that the tires I had purchased had a repair warranty, so.. they took care of it for free!! Way to go, God!! I love it when he even takes care of the little things. This in no way compares to the following car story:



One winter evening my grandfather was driving home from Bible study, it had been snowing steadily for a few hours and getting colder out. On a desolate farm road a few miles from home the car ran out of gas. He sat there for a few minutes and prayed. As he began to get out of the car, he was met by a man carrying a gas can. The man helped fill his tank with gas. As my grandfather proceeded to get back into his car, he had realized he hadn't even thanked the man. He turned back only to find the man was gone! He looked around but couldn't find or see anyone. My grandfather believed it was an angel.




For the hundreds of times I heard him tell that story or mention it in his sermons, it never changed. It always stayed the same, word for word. And you could see it in his eyes he was telling the truth each time he told it. Such a simple story, but it speaks volumes about trusting in God and asking for favor in any given situation. He took the worst of circumstances and put his faith in action with a simple prayer.


So what stops us from having a spiritual encounter or a miracle like this? In simple terms, it is our faith. In Romans 12:3 it says that, we ought not to think of ourselves as more highly than another, for God has given each of us the same measure of faith. We've all been given the same amount of faith, it's how we put that faith into action that produces results.


The Apostle Paul says his message and preaching were not with wise, persuasive words, but a demonstration of the Holy Spirit and the power of God.


God can use anyone of us, in any situation, as long as our faith rests not in human wisdom, but in God's power.


For the kingdom of God is not in word but in power. (1Cor.4:20)



As a little kid I was fortunate enough to hang around my grandfather alot and see God perform miracles through him. It definitely felt like I was following Moses, or Peter, or Paul.

Earlier today I had a momentary lapse of faith. What 's most important is that I knew it. And I had to stop for a few minutes, pray, and ask God to forgive me for my lack of trust in that moment.

I could say I still have a long ways to go on reaching that level of faith that my grandfather had, but, once again, I have been given the same measure of faith. It's how I decide to use that faith. Today, I don't even look back and try to figure out what happened that night of the car running out of gas. I just accept and believe that it happened.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out why my next door neighbor has a goat in his backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment