Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Rock on Sunday, A Pebble on Monday


A big, heavy rock stays in one spot. It doesn't move. It get's rained on, sleet on, snowed on, and dog's take a leak on it. And it still doesn't move.

The Apostle Paul set a great example for us on how to be a rock: he faced many trials and tribulations that brought him to tears, but he was strong enough to exclaim,

"None of these things move me."  (see Acts 20:17-27)

Sometimes the struggles we Christians face is of our own doing and the obstacle is always with our faith.  I always seem to run into people who go to church and have been Christians for many years, yet struggle with faith. They've never climbed from the
believing in God (accept as truth) stage to the trust in God (having a firm foundation) stage.

Why is it that we can feel like a rock on Sunday, and when Monday comes we feel like a pebble?  It's okay to have a momentary lapse of faith, as long you quickly realize and correct that mistake on faith. But if you continuously feel like a rock on Sunday and then a pebble on Monday, then there are 4 contributing factors that may be occurring for this to happen:

1. You are not getting fed the Word of God properly in your church.

2. You are getting fed the Word of God properly at your church, but lack in applying it to your life.

3. You are not seeking God out as you should, putting away your own desires to draw closer to Him.
     This is what gets you from the believing in God stage to the trusting in God stage.

4. You have no joy in the Lord. Which means you are lacking in high praise to the One who made you, the One you call Father.

Don't you think it's a waste of time to continuously seek out God, yet not carry out a faith that trust's Him for every concern of your life?

My Pastor often challenges us and asks: "Are you a Christian soldier or a spiritual sissy?"

God wants us to be strong men and women of His Word. But we need to apply His Word and promises to our life daily, trust in Him, and be able to declare, "None of these things move me!"

Those mountains in your life are obstacles that can be moved. You just need stronger faith.

Now you might be saying, "Sure this may sound easy, but you have no idea what I am going through and what I am facing."
In most trials I can say, "Been there, done that. I've faced many battles, my faith was tested many times, it wasn't easy, but my faith grew through the struggles. I am no different than you.

Seems like all I could see was the struggle
Haunted by ghosts that lived in my past
Bound up in shackles of all my failures
Wondering how long is this gonna last
Then You look at this prisoner and say to me
"Son, stop fighting a fight that's already been won"

I am redeemed
You set me free
So I'll shake off these heavy chains
And wipe away every stain

- Redeemed, by Big Daddy Weave

The lead singer and author who penned this song is referring to a time when he was a prisoner of his own doing, looking at his situations and circumstances in life, and not looking toward the answer. Then God spoke and said, "Stop fighting a fight that's already been won, a fight won over 2,000 years ago. You are redeemed."

A wise preacher once told me, "Pray the answer, not the problem."  There are over 800 promises in the Bible. Once you stop looking at your situation and continuously seek after God in worship and prayer, and apply His Word to every area of your life, you'll find the keys to happiness in Christ and see mountains move on your behalf. You'll no longer feel like a prisoner and will be able to joyfully declare "I am redeemed!"







No comments:

Post a Comment