Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sustain

As I spent much of last week in much conversation with God since I was sick and then yesterday(tuesday) after work doing my prayer walk at the zoo(brookfield zoo in chicago 'burbs), God kept placing the word sustain into my thoughts. This word shows up 40 times in scripture, and for good reason.Yes, the last few weeks have been tough for me and what God was alluding to was in Psalms 55:22,

Cast your burden on the Lord
And He shall sustain you;
He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.

As soon as the Psalmist David says to cast your burden on the Lord , he immediately delivers to us the promise, that God will sustain us. The word sustain means: to hold up, to protect, to support, to defend. God does all of these for His people. All He asks from us is to act in faith.

Faith has nothing to do with feelings, nor is faith some passive response to adverse circumstances. Faith is a conscious choice to act on God's Word.

In the very next Psalm David goes a little further on trusting in God:
Whenever I am afraid
I will trust in You.
In God I will praise His Word,
In God I have put my trust;
I will not fear.
What can flesh do to me?

It is so easy for us to think about our circumstances and act on it in the flesh. But when we apply God's Word and remind ourselves of His promise to sustain us in our circumstances, our fear turns to faith. Which is why He calls us to:
Cast your burden on the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment