Friday, September 25, 2009

The Power of Prayer

This past Wednesday evening church service was one part "history 101 on power of prayer" and one part "getting honest with God individually". A visiting Pastor Edds delivered a timely message that in some ways "revived" myself on the power of prayer. He brought to point some stories from back in the 1940's where people's prayers not only brought revivals, but individual lives were changed, as well as entire communities. Something that's much needed in our country and the world today. And most of these changes were through only a small handful of souls praying together:



"Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.

For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them."
(Math.18:19,20)

His history lesson reminded me of my own personal lesson on prayer I had experienced in seventh grade:



I was coming home from summer church camp with my cousin when she suddenly fell ill and went into a coma which lasted a whole month. For that entire duration, my grandfather literally lived at the hospital, at her bedside praying for her recovery. And while he was doing that, I remember my parents having our entire church pray for her recovery as well. And so, when she came to, she was diagnosed with the worst case of diabetes one could contract. But today she lives her life to the fullest for Jesus Christ. And through advance medical technology and God's grace she just recently acquired an insulin pump to make her life more simpler, and enjoyable.



When two or more people come together in agreement concerning something, a greater amount of spiritual authority and power seems to be released than when just one is praying. So it is important for brothers and sisters in Christ to come together in agreement in prayer. If there's one piece of history we need to be reminded of more frequently it is just that, the power of prayer. If an elderly woman and a blind woman could change a whole community in Scotland by praying (1948), imagine what we could do!

















No comments:

Post a Comment