Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Health 101

"Yeah, or die doing something, like that!"  This coming from a kid as I crossed the finish line at the end of my long run this past Sunday afternoon.

Although I only caught the last bit of the conversation between the two young boys, I couldn't help but wonder if they were referring to my running and all the energy I used to where it would might actually kill me. But, exercise does do wonders for the body. Yes, there have been instances where someone has unfortunately passed away after exercising; in fact the last two Chicago Marathons someone has died while tackling one of the most grueling feats of strength. But for the most part, exercise is good. Now there is no way you will ever catch me running a marathon, but I do take solace in the fact that I do enjoy running on the trails in the woods. There is something to be said about finding peace when running through the woods while viewing and listening to nature. It's my way of finding peace after a hard day's work or even to quiet my soul on a Sunday afternoon.

I have many friends and co-workers who either: exercise before or after work at the gym, bike to work (an actual bicycle with peddles), go walking on their lunch break, and others who will go for a run or a walk  during the day. It doesn't matter which of these you do, but exercise is good for your health.

Probably the other most important ingredient to our health is what we eat. It's like that old adage, "You are what you eat!" And we sure can't curse God when something goes wrong with our health such as having clogged arteries or being overweight, because we are in charge of what we eat. Now I am definitely not talking about health related issues that we have no control over, but there are some things we do have control over.

Since I came back from my latest vacation, I've started adding a slice of lemon ( it's a Southern Cal thing) to my drinking water and have found that I now drink more water than I previously had. I also believe I am going on about 3 or 4 years of giving up on soda pop.

Now if you think that Diet Coke is really helping you control your weight, you are wrong. In fact, studies have proven that diet soda is worse than regular soda. But if you are looking to cut down on calories and shed a few pounds, I would start with cutting out soda. You will be amazed at how many pounds you will shed just by giving up soda pop.

So, I said all that to say this:

God wants us to be healthy, but it is up to us to maintain that which has been given to us; not just physically, but spiritually. Just as we maintain our soul by following a certain  discipleship regiment, how we maintain our physical well being is just as important to God.

You do not necessarily have to go out and run a few miles because walking a mile or two each day is just as sufficient. If you have a  gym or park district facility nearby, go checkout what they have to offer. Today there is so much competition with health clubs that most gyms will now give you the option of only having to sign up one month at a time, no contracts involved.

 If you are not in the habit of working out and may be leary of trying some form of exercise, remember:

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:13

Once you get into a habit of working out two or three times a week, you will eventually find yourself with more energy to do the things you want to do throughout any given day. And you are assured of a good nights sleep. Just as you go through a daily discipleship program to strengthen your soul and feel better spiritually; the same goes for yourself physically when you exercise regularly, you will feel better.

Exercise is good for the body, and good for the soul.












3 comments:

  1. Excellent advice. I have good reasons to avoid hard impact on my knees, but I definitely need more exercise. It's hard to say what percentage I'm too busy and what percent I'm too lazy, but I need to do less excuses and more exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. walking with the camera is also great exercise.ive done that alot in the winter, and..walking in snow is really good exercise, as long as it's not too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another reason that I can't jog... the ice keeps falling out of the glass. ;-)

    ReplyDelete