Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I Like This!




"We are the makers of dreams, the dreamers of dreams."
   - Willy Wonka


One of my favorite stories is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, where the confectionery artist fulfills the dreams of five lucky children: a full tour of his tightly-guarded candy factory. And one of my favorite scenes in the film? When Augustus Gloop disobeys the rules and drinks from a chocolate river then gets sucked through a pipe and delivered to the Fudge Room. Not such a bad room to be sent to,huh?

The original book was convinced into being made a movie by the director's ten-year old daughter. And ironically the family's "Uncle Dave" was given the job of producer for the original film. Which brings my story into play:

No, I am no big name movie producer nor an actor, just a guy who loves to give to others and fulfill the dreams of those around me; especially those in my own family. Just recently I took my niece  (who is an extremely talented dancer for the half-time shows of her school's basketball team) to her first Chicago Bulls game. She was ecstatic about finally getting to go to a Chicago Bulls game. And nevertheless it was a playoff game, a game the Bulls were expected to lose but ended up winning in dramatic fashion.

My niece's 12 year-old brother, who is my nephew in case you haven't had that first cup of morning coffee yet, has the luxury of being taken to all the Superhero movies that come out at the theater. Our recent outing to see the Avengers movie made about 15 films we have seen together. It is something he enjoys, but it is also more gratifying to myself as well. You see, the enjoyment of giving to others and seeing their appreciation is what brings satisfaction and joy to those who are doing the giving.

After being at a late start Chicago Bulls game, a thrilling game I might add, I arrived home afterwards just in time to get 3 hours of sleep before work. It took me a couple of days to get back to getting my usual amount of sleep. Drinking a lot of coffee to stay awake kept me abuzz for a few days!

On my drive home from work on one of those days God reminded me: "You see, you fulfill dreams of those close to you, now how much more do you think I will do to fulfill your dreams?"

And so at that moment  this Parable came to mind:

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! So in everything do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.  (Mathew 7:9-12)

If you take great joy in giving to others, without wanting anything in return, the Lord recognizes your heart. And in return He will reward you:

But this I say, "He which soweth sparingly shall reap sparingly, and he which soweth bountifully shall also reap bountifully. (2 Cor. 9:6)

I like the fact that God recognizes and acknowledges our good deeds when they are done with a grateful heart.

Whatever you do, do it with a grateful heart.














No comments:

Post a Comment