Friday, October 2, 2009

God,Football, and Community (part one)


A couple of days ago I had already prepared my prep work for my next 2 blog posts, and then it happened! One of my colleagues at work gave me this week's issue of Sports Illustrated with a cover story on the Detroit Tigers and their winning ways in unifying a city and state that is in economic turmoil. It is a really great , inspirational article, a must read for all. With somewhat similarities, here's my own:


What caught my attention Sunday afternoon, besides my beloved Bears victory, was what transpired after the Detroit Lions who, after losing 19 straight games over the last 2 and a half years, finally won a game. In the locker room afterward, their coach Jim Schwartz, congratulated them and then had them go down on one knee, say a prayer for their community, and then go back out onto their home field turf to celebrate with their fans.


The state of Michigan has been hit the hardest within these difficult economic times. The state relied heavily on the "big three" of the auto industry. The unemployment rate is now at 28%, many neighborhoods in Detroit are abandoned. There are other small towns within the state completely vacant where they have decided to not rebuild, but simply bulldoze them down and replace them with trees.


All sports teams carry with them an allegiance of faithful fans who stick with them even in the not so great seasons. So I love it when I see coaches and players make an effort to recognize those fans. In case you aren't aware, I am extremely bias towards my sport, football. In my opinion football has the hard core, extreme fans. In no other sport will you see 50 to 70 thousand fans sitting in 20 below temps to watch a game. I've endured that experience a few times and I have to say, I enjoyed every minute of it.


My love for football began when I was 6 years old, and Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday. Yeah, I know what you're thinking, "What about Christmas?" But, I can honestly say, I still love Thanksgiving more. And that is how this mid western kid became a Cowboys fan.

Football on Thanksgiving brought community within my family. I am one of 27 grand kids, so it was great when my grandparents had everyone together for that one holiday. It was the one holiday where my grandfather had taught us about putting aside our various differences, feel blessed to be able to be together as one family, and thank God for those many blessings.


In a recent interview on Focus on the Family, Coach Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts mentioned that in all of his 12 years of being a head coach for 2 different teams, 3 of every 4 players on those teams had no father. That is an astounding number! So I thank God for family.


In Michigan these days they are desperate for anything that can bring a smile to their faces. It was very gratifying to see that thousands showed up for the National Baptist Convention held in Detroit, and to hear them say that their true hope lies in Jesus Christ.


It is also good to see some of their sports teams do well, to bring some enjoyment to these peoples lives. The Detroit Tigers are close to winning their division after finishing in last place a year ago, and, who would've thunk it, last year's very bad University of Michigan Wolverines are 4-0 this season.


Go Detroit Tigers!








1 comment:

  1. Everyone is buried in dirt at some stage during their life, this drives us to God and prayer. Yes family get togethers, it to is about forgiveness! So we learn lots in our own family...........the story of life......Enjoyed that article, great read.

    ReplyDelete