Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Dying With Dignity or Choosing to Live in Hope?


In exactly 18 days Brittany Maynard will die on her terms (her choice words). Brittany is a young vibrant 29-year old who was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer and has been given only 6 months to live. Before the pain becomes unbearable, which doctors say will happen, she has chosen to move to Oregon where a Die with Dignity law is in place for terminally ill patients; where there are optional drugs available to end life. Brittany has chosen November 1st, two days after celebrating her husband's birthday, to die with dignity.

So much has been written over the internet and conversations all over social media in general about her choice to die with dignity. And I've read a countless number of comments from folks calling her brave and courageous. Brave and courageous? Really? This is how Websters Dictionary defines brave and courageous:

courageous: not deterred by danger or pain

brave: ready to face and endure danger or pain; showing courage  

Brittany is showing courage in accepting her unfortunate fate, but I don't agree with her decision. It is times like these where I wish a strong, vibrant Billy Graham were available to intercede and personally visit her to deliver to her a greater hope and a better choice than her so-called die with dignity venture. I've been greatly saddened by her story these past few days and I'm praying some spiritually strong minister will take the time to visit with her before November 1st.

When I think of brave and courageous I think of my friend Tony who battled with ALS. He was given a short time to live, but he ended up living longer.... 9 years after first being diagnosed. And each day when the physical abilities of using his hands and legs diminished, he still chose to live and to watch his two children grow. But, Tony had something inside of him, he knew that The Greater One lived within him. He carried with him hope. I believe even on Tony's worst days, he felt the comfort of the Lord.

Just recently a woman shared with me a story of her young twenty-something nephew who passed away from a terminal illness. Her son went down to visit with the nephew just before he passed away. He found the nephew lying upon his bed, arms raised, worshiping the Lord. After she shared this, it reminded me of the last time I saw my 95-year-old grandfather before he passed away:

I watched my grandfather minister to thousands of people and had read numerous magazine articles written about his faith in the Lord and his unique style of ministering to people, so I now what kind of man he was. My grandfather was very close to meeting this man we call Jesus when I went to visit him in a nursing home. As I walked in the door, there he was sitting in a wheelchair, unable to verbally speak, but his arms were raised toward heaven as he worshiped the Lord.

I want to go out like these brave and courageous men: unafraid, arms raised toward heaven worshiping the Father, knowing He is my comforter in times of trial and affliction. A Father who not only offers hope for the future, but who is there for the present.

Hope is our future.

  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11)


If you live in an area with no access to a Bible, click on www.biblegateway.com for more of God's encouraging Word.














No comments:

Post a Comment