Friday, February 1, 2013

Faith Can Move Rumbling Automobiles


As the snow fell and the wind picked up and the temperature was dropping furiously, my car decided to give me an adventure.
My car is only 8 years old, maintained pretty well, and was giving me a luxurious, comfortable ride all day long. And then evening came and as I began to pull out of the church parking lot one night this week, naturally it had to happen. The service engine light came on as soon as I started the car. And not only that, but the car began to rumble as if it wanted to immediately stall on me.

One would expect that coming out of church that everything should be perfect at that very moment.
 "Hey, I just went to church, everything is going to be perfect for the rest of the day!"

But in reality it is: this is where your faith is tested, outside in the real world. And so our challenge awaits us: Can we take what we have learned in church and use it outside the church?

As I pulled away from my parking spot and moved a couple of feet the car began to hesitate as if wanting to stall. And as this happened I was totally shocked at my instincts. I did not say a word to myself, did not say a prayer, the only thought that came to mind that I can recall was, "Okay, lets do this. Let's just go home."  Now mind you, my destination was about 20-25 minutes away. Needless to say, I made it home without the car even shutting down at stoplights.

When I look back now, I am in awe of my instinct to  just do it.  For one evening my faith was moving mountains. Now if I could just carry that faith with me everyday and in every situation I would be one happy camper.

It is sometimes when we least expect it that our faith will kick in without us ever giving it a second thought. Oh, the possibilities of having that faith all the time. Easier said than done, right?  That is where the importance of: knowing God, knowing how powerful He is, and knowing He cares for us. All He asks of us is that we trust Him, even in the small things.

As I stepped out in faith, my faith was rewarded: I made it home that night, and the cost of repairs the following day was minimal.

Some of the greatest examples of real faith are found in Hebrews chapter 11:

It was by faith that the people of Israel marched around Jericho for seven days, and the walls came crashing down.

It is a great chapter to reminds us of others faith and how it worked in some of the darkest situations.

If you would like to familiarize yourself with some of these great stories of faith in Hebrews, go to: www.biblegateway.com







No comments:

Post a Comment