Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dogs with an Attitude


The other morning a Beagle was looking at me with those sad puppy eyes as if to say,

"Why are you looking at me so funny, Mister?  Can't you see I am cold and frigid, and my Master just had to take me out for a walk as if I had nothing better to do on this cold, blustery winter day!"


During my high school athletic years, our Cross Country team would jog our way to practice through a neighborhood. One of the houses at the end of a dead end block had a small York Terrier who carried with him a big bark. The dog was tied to a very long leash, but not quite long enough. Everyday we would  jog by and this dog took to flight, chasing us down with his loud yippee bark. He took to flight because he forgot he was on a tight leash. He would go as far as he could as if to chase us down, then once at the end of his leash, he would get yanked back. Day after day this dog did the same routine, and day after day he kept getting yanked back. This small dog carried with him a big attitude, he did not care what size he was, he still kept after us as if he were a Rottweiler or Pit Bull.

One of my favorite winter activities is taking photographs at a local sled dog race. It is not enough to just take photos of these amazing dogs, but to be able pet every one of them and see the gentle nature that they present. But once the first team of dogs gets hitched to their sled, look out! The rest of the 40 dogs or more begin to howl and literally leap for joy. They know that it is almost time for them to get hitched to a sled and begin to run as fast as the wind. Watching their display of exuberant joy at wanting to get out there in the woods and run crazy is a sight to behold.

So, which one of these 3 dogs with an attitude resembles you most?

For myself it is definitely the sled dogs and their go and do attitude. I am one of those people who likes to stay active and not be tied down for any prolong period of time. Although there are some days where I may represent the Beagle and want to just take it slow, especially during  some of the bleak days of winter.

Attitude is everything and plays an important role in each of our daily lives. So, whether you consider yourself one that resembles a Beagle, a York Terrier, a sled dog, or maybe even a Pit Bull; attitude matters.

If you are a believer in Christ, don't be shy or timid like the Beagle. Carry with you an attitude of a York Terrier, a sled dog, or a Pit Bull. But remember, as a York Terrier you are not on a leash, it is the enemy who is on a short leash.

Remind yourself:    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)

If you own a Beagle, take comfort in knowing I too love Beagles. I never met a dog I didn't like!

For more encouraging Word from the Bible checkout www.biblegateway.com


























No comments:

Post a Comment