Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Dream of all Dreams

The howling wind opens the unlocked front door. A man dressed all in black enters through the screen door,runs quickly through the house and exits the back door. You awaken to a loss of breath as you let out a loud gasp. Suddenly you realize it was all just a dream.

Whether you are 9 years old or 99 years old, we all have dreams. Some are good, some are nightmares, and some make no sense at all. I think that is why I was always fascinated with dreams and tried my hardest to interpret them. Ive had so many of those "don't make sense dreams" to cover a lifetime, and it drives me crazy when I can't interpret a meaning to my dreams.

Two psychologists who contributed to a Time magazine Science article on dreams came up with this conclusion:

"We invest more meaning in dreams in which our enemies are punished and less meaning in dreams in which our enemies emerge victorious."

So, they were correct, because I did invest a lot of time into the above dream that I first mentioned; a dream I had one night a couple of weeks ago.I do not like the fact that I had a nightmare where I awoke gasping for air and letting out a loud shout,but still, it was a dream I had to search for a meaning.

My conclusion to what this dream possibly meant came somewhere in the middle of my day:

The man dressed in black possibly resembled that of the enemy, he came into the house and saw that he could not conquer so he fled out the back door. I think James 4:7 describes it best:

Submit yourselves, then to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Come near to God and He will come near to you.

The closer we draw near to God each and every day the stronger our relationship becomes with Him, and as a result: fear disappears and the enemy flees because we are entwined with a Greater Power and Authority.

When we establish a greater connection to God we become more powerful and as a result we are able to fend off what the enemy may throw at us:

I have given you the authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; and nothing will harm you. (Luke 10:19)

But this can only happen when we remind ourselves:

For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. (2Timothy 1:7)


Having a bad dream and seeing it unfold as a good dream isn't so bad after all!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Dave! Well said and a great reminder...I needed that today, thanks...God is good

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all need a reminder and encouragement from time to time,chris! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete