Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Feisty, Sarcastic Moses


"Lord,just kill me now and be done with it!"

Have you ever copped an attitude like this when going through a situation? Don't feel bad,Moses did too.

When you think of Moses in the Bible, I am sure this quote of his doesn't even come to mind at first. This is one of my favorite conversational pieces between Moses and God (Numbers chapter 11), after Moses finds out he's leading one massive headache called "The Israelites".

So Moses has been chosen to lead the Israelites to the Promise Land, and all that's been fed to them so far is a plant called coriander seed. The Israelites grumble and complain, and remind Moses that as slaves they were eating some mighty great food: fish,cucumbers,and melons. Amongst all of their complaining, Moses loses his cool with God:

"Why have you afflicted Your servant? And why have I not found favor in Your sight, that You have laid the burden of all these people on me?"

And then, look out, here comes the sarcasm:

"Did I conceive all these people as my own?"

"And where am I to get meat to give all these people? For they weep all over me saying,'Give us meat, so that we may eat!' I am not able to bear all these people alone, because the burden is too heavy for me. If You treat me like this, please kill me here and now, if I have found favor in Your sight, and do not let me see my wretchedness!"

And of course, God had an answer for Moses' requests. He asked Moses to gather up 70 of the Elders of Israel so that He could pour out upon them the same Spirit that was living in Moses, so that these Elders might help Moses with his heavy burden, known as The Israelites.

Then God dishes it back to Moses, telling Moses to say to the Israelites they will have so much meat, it'll be coming out of their noses:

"Therefore the Lord will give you meat, and you shall eat. You shall eat not one day, nor two days, nor five days, nor ten days, nor twenty days, but for a whole month, until it comes out of your nostrils and becomes loathsome to you, because you have despised the Lord who is among you, and have wept before Him, saying,'Why did we ever come up out of Egypt?'"

And if you know the story, this was just the beginning of a long journey for Moses and the Israelites. A journey in learning to trust in God for their provision.

If you ever find yourself copping an attitude over a situation, remember:

God's grace is sufficient for all of your needs. He will provide what you have need of and will not let you bear the burden alone. No matter what that burden may be.



























No comments:

Post a Comment