Friday, May 21, 2010

Chased By The Light

"If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life"
-Wu Men

I recently viewed a documentary called
Chased by the Light, the story of famous photographer Jim Brandenburg and his quest for an inner renewal. Jim had been working for National Geographic for several years, his travels took him away from his family about 75 percent of the time per year. He had been working so hard at trying to get the most perfect of pictures he had lost his passion for nature itself.

In a desperate need of renewal Jim Brandenburg went on a 90 day journey through the Northern Woods of the Midwest. His challenge amidst his renewal: to take only one picture a day throughout this journey. But of course, for a photographer of his stature, he had to make sure it was the perfect picture. There were many times when he didn't get anything until the final moments of the day. You can checkout his pictures in his book of the same title
Chased by the Light.

For myself I have noticed the last three months an inner peace within me that only stems from the love and grace of God. Many of the great pictures that I've taken lately (it helps when you have a "good" camera!) are a direct result of not shear luck or timing but God granting me the opportunity to not worry about the things around me and enjoy His creation and being in His presence.

In the above picture I absolutely stumbled across this bird while I was ending one of my 3 mile runs. I was way across the other side of the waterfall and from there it looked like some kind of penguin hobbling around. And if it really was a penguin I'd be famous for finding a penguin in Chicago. Of course my curiosity got the best of me, so I made my way around to the other side to find this very rare Black Crown Night Heron.

Let the peace of Christ have power over your hearts. You were chosen as a part of His body.
Always be thankful. (Col.3:15)

You will be amazed to what God can do to you, for you, and through you when you let the peace of God rule in your heart.

Your great adventure awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment