Thursday, August 6, 2009

Training Camp (part two)





One of the many tasks that Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith has is to instill in his players some discipline. Not just setting a bunch of rules for them to follow, but getting them to understand that hard work pays off. If they want to make the team they have to prove to the coaches that they are worthy of a spot on the roster. It is not just handed to them on a silver platter. Many of the players find that they are able to take those disciplines that they learn on the field and apply it to their own individual lives as well.





Of all the sports I played through high school, the one coach I learned the most from was my cross country coach, Mr. Kosteki, who we simply called Coach K. During races I always carried with me the bad habit of looking over my shoulder, to see which runners were behind me. Coach K was constantly on my case for this, especially when getting closer to the finish line. It was a bad habit to break. But with much "chewing out" on his part, I was able to break that habit. Even today, when I run 5 k races with my dad, I never look back, though Coach K always comes to mind, especially when I am sprinting those last 50 yards to the finish line and I want to turn my head to look back.






When we discipline ourselves forward, toward Christ, and not look back, we break those bad habits we carry with us in the flesh. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy! When we are in the flesh we make costly mistakes. We carry with us: anger, hostility towards others, fear, doubt, jealousy. All the negative emotions you could think of are there. So, how do we discipline ourselves to stay out of the flesh?




As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving. (Col.2:6,7)




Notice the scripture says to walk in Him and be built up in Him.




It doesn't say "with" Him. The actual definition for the word in means: enclosed by limits of.




So when we are walking in Him we are enclosed with:




1. His Holy Spirit


2.The fullness of God (the full complement of)


3.His character traits, the Fruit of the Spirit.


But whoever keeps His Word, truly the love of God is perfected in him.

By this we know that we are in Him. (1Jn.2:6)


The word perfected means: complete, absolute. So our love for God is complete in us when we have chosen to abide by His Word and live the way He wants us to live.


He who says he abides in Him, ought also to walk just as He walked. (1Jn.2:7)
When we make Christ the center of our lives, our joy will overflow into the other surrounding areas of our lives, and we will begin to see blessings overtake us.
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him! (Ps.34:8)
















No comments:

Post a Comment