Monday, August 10, 2009

Faithful to the Last Ice Cream Cone




One of my favorite places to go for a run is at a place called Old Grau Mill, just a few miles from my work.



I love the peace that transpires as the trail makes it's way around Salt Creek with the sound of the flowing stream of water as it gurgles through the rocks and pebbles and eventually down a waterfall dam.



For the past four or five years of running there I've come across alot of wildlife: deer, ducks, blue herons,beavers, and even a coyote. I also have frequently seen through those years an elderly couple sitting together in their car, both eating an ice cream cone, their windows rolled down, as they take in the peace and tranquility that this local environment brings. Their daily visits are pretty much on the same timetable as my runs. On ocassion I would even make it there for a run during the winter months, if there's no detour of snow and ice. And, yes, there they were, together, eating an ice cream cone. Whenever seeing them together, the one thing I gathered most from that couple was faithfulness. Recently the gentleman lost his wife. He still faithfully shows up there at the usual time, but no ice cream cone. I wasn't about to even ask why no ice cream cone, my theory is it just wouldn't taste the same.



On my way to and from work I pass a little white Baptist church that has been in it's neighborhood for over 40 years, with the same Pastor, who is now over 90 years old. When I pass by it everyday I see faithfulness.



Through our eyes we sometimes have a tendency to mostly view "our" faithfulness(or another person's) towards someone or something:faithful to our friends, family, spouse, our job, our church, to God, our favorite sports team, faithful to a certain cause or organization.



But, how many times do we pause to reflect on "God's" faithfulness towards us? Or even thank Him for being there for us?


Some of the greatest examples of God's faithfulness were with the Israelites.


And the Lord said: "I have surely seen the oppression of My people who are in Egypt, and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters, for I know their sorrows." (Ex.3:6)


Here, God is telling Moses He knows what His people are going through. This means He: recognizes, acknowledges, and understands their sorrows. More importantly, He feels what they are going through and is with them step by step, and will intervene on their behalf.


If you feel like you are going through your own kind of Egypt right now, be still and know that God is there with you, He will never leave you nor forsake you.






No comments:

Post a Comment