Friday, July 3, 2009

Oh Say Can You Hear



Those that know me well, know my passion for running. Yeah, you have to be crazy to have a passion for running. Never ran a marathon and never will. I'll stick with the 5k races!! The one thing that I've noticed when I'm out on the trails, either running or biking, is the people who can't let go of their electronic devices. Whether it's the cell phone, the ipod, or the blackberry, they just can't get rid of it, not even for half an hour.

What I love about being out in the middle of the woods is the quietness. When I do go running it is usually after work, this is my time alone, listening to nature, talking to God, and hopefully listening to Him talk to me. No headphones, the cell phone on off, and my ears and heart opened for listening. This is how it should be! This is my independence day, three times a week, even if it is only an hour at a time in intervals.

When we need to make a big decision, us Christians do what we are taught and told to do, wait on the Lord. But, if we are expecting to hear from Him, how do we know it is Him actually speaking to us? This is why we need to put into practice the art of listening, spending quiet time with the Father, so that we are able to recognize His voice.
And when He brings out His own sheep, He goes before them, and the sheep follow Him, for they know His voice. (Jn.10:4)



Sheep are known to have good memories, they can recognize the other sheep in their flock and even the face of the shepherd who is leading them. But one sheep that stands out in the flock is called an Outlier sheep. It has a tendency to wander off on it's own, and then becomes weak and hungry.
So, for us, it is more than just being able to recognize His voice, but wanting to follow Him. There is no need for us to wander off. Our Heavenly Father is a good shepherd, who will never lead us astray. He leads us to green pastures.

This summer find yourselves an independence day at least twice a week, open your ears and your hearts, and you'll be amazed at what you will hear.












No comments:

Post a Comment