Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Road Trippin'


"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."
- Martin Buber, an 1800's German Philosopher


Ahh, who doesn't like a good road trip? A time to get away and view the sights and sounds of America. What makes road trips so great is not the getting to the destination part, but what you may find along the way. I love reading on social media, in particular Face Book friends,  their road trips and the photos they take along the way. They say everyone has a story to tell, but even more so when on a road trip; stories to tell your kids, your grandkids, and memories no one can take from you.

As a kid growing up in the early 70's I carry fond memories of the road trips my parents took me and my 4 siblings on. I do admit sometimes they weren't so enjoyable, especially when your riding in the backseat of a station wagon and the only windows that actually rolled down were in the front seat of the car.. But our trips had their moments.
With technology not so advanced then, we either had a book to read, or our imagination as we viewed the scenery along the way. On the radio my father would be playing country music, old school style to kids today. At the time I couldn't stand listening to it, but once I grew older my appreciation for music expanded to where, dare I say it, I enjoy old school country music. Mostly because they stir up fond memories from my childhood.

As for the staring out the window and letting my imagination run wild, it was those road trips that brought me to my love for nature and the creativity that I can use to want to explore nature more. I think Rod Serling's Twilight Zone narration said it best,

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone." 
Though we may not literally be traveling to the twilight zone, although it my feel like it when traveling through Iowa corn fields and cow patches when you live in the city, but every road trip can bring you closer to who you desire to be.
One of my favorite moments in the film Elizabethtown is the road trip Claire, played by Kirsten Dunst, has her love interest Drew take, upon his trip back home from his dad's funeral. Drew is bringing the remains of his father back home:
Claire tells Drew to take one final trip with his father, giving him a map and marking special stops to make along the way. Drew follows the map home, spreading his father's ashes at memorable sites until the map gives him a choice; to either follow the map home, or follow new directions. He chooses the latter, which leads him to a small town fair, where he encounters Claire waiting for him. The two kiss and Drew finally realizes what Claire has been telling him all along: life is going to be filled with fierce battles, but through the battles, redemption is found and results in a glorious life.
 What makes this such a great, memorable moment is the map Claire gives him also contains a soundtrack of a whole variety of music to listen to on the way. After viewing this film many times, I have taken up the idea of getting away from my natural day-to-day music listening, when going on road trips. Kind of like revisiting my past and the variety of music I listened to along the way.

Music is an important part of any road trip. Don't be afraid to not only explore the great nature that surrounds us, but add a little a variety to that soundtrack, a great way to set the mood for any road trip.

No matter what part of the United States you live in, there's a road trip to be had. If your looking for some real adventure, checkout www.roadtrippers.com. There you will find some off-the-beaten-trail sights
that you've never even heard of.

Summer's almost over, time to pack those bags and get road trippin'

No comments:

Post a Comment