Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Deception is Cruel

 
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
- Steven Wright
 
 A recent conversation I found myself engulfed in, reminded me of the evil practice of deception and how some people are so good at it. Just after my high school years, a friend had coaxed some of us to go on a one week autumn fishing expedition deep in the northern woods of Wisconsin. He showed us a photo of a gorgeous cabin that his father owned, a cabin that included some exquisite amenities. And course, we all bought in hook,line and sinker. Yet, once we got up there it was nothing like the cabin in the photo. In fact, it was the complete opposite and resembled more of an outhouse than a cabin. The bathroom contained a toilet and a small basin sink, the heat to the one bedroom cabin came from a wood burning stove in the living room. The kitchen was probably the only normal room in the cabin, but at least there was electricity.
Although I  am an outdoors-kind-of-guy, I do not like tents but love the idea of being in a log cabin, yet I still love those morning showers to invigorate and awaken me. One thing was clear, this was not the week I would be getting that shower. Needless to say I survived the week, but when I got home it was a different story, as my mom was hesitant in letting me in the house, for I smelled like dead fish, let alone she didn't even recognize me from my not shaving all week,too. A smelly disaster was this trip.

A few years later my brother and I decided to take a trip to San Diego for the first time. I booked a hotel from an applicable website, and of course, yet again, the photos of the hotel were misleading. Let's put it this way, our balcony view was of a Larry Flint Strip Club. Yes, deception is cruel and it's all around us.
Whether it's the media, the politicians, false teaching preachers, the communities we live in, our friends, websites that sell stuff, it's everywhere and we need to be on guard at all times.
 
For all the negativity that deception brings, there is one story about deception that brought victory. A story that has always intrigued me. Who would have thought just the very first two sentences of any story could reel you into wanting more of the entire story? Yet, the Bible is full of so many of these. 

Now Naaman, commander of the army of the king of Syria, was a great and honorable man in the eyes of his master, because by him the Lord had given victory to Syria. He was also a mighty man of valor, but a leper.-  2 Kings 5:1

Imagine that, Naaman, a leper, would put on his armor everyday to cover up his illness, and then go out and do battle and come away victoriously. Oh sure, Naaman would later go and seek out a prophet and get healed, but this?  To do battle and win? Oh my, what great victorious deception!

What brought Naaman victory in his battles is plainly stated, from the Lord. How encouraging this is for all of us with the deception that surrounds us everyday. When God instructs believers to put on the whole armor of God each day, he doesn't say if you are whole,or if you are in good health, or if everything is perfect in your life at that moment. All He says is to be strong in the Lord.

 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. - Ephesians 6:10

How awesome is it to know that in our weakness He is strong. It doesn't matter what you are going through, just keep putting on that armor of God each day and just stand.




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment