Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Moving From Introvert to Extrovert


"There is something to be said for when a homeless person fist bumps you with gratitude."


I have been involved in ministry in one form or another for 17 years now, but I'm just now noticing  the transformation from being an introvert to an extrovert. And, reaping the benefits I might add!

 I never really gave this much thought, until after our most recent evening of feeding the homeless in the city of Chicago with the Night Ministry. The appreciation the cold and hungry have toward us as they begin to recognize us more individually has increased as they get to know us more. One young lady was ecstatic that I was taking a picture that included her, hence her smile for the camera.


Now, back to this whole introvert/extrovert hypothesis. In case your unfamiliar with these terms, here they are with their definition:

Introvert: not necessarily a shy person, but one who sometimes avoids large groups of people, feeling more energized by time alone.

Extrovert: an outgoing, expressive person who is sociable, unafraid of large groups

The first thing you are probably thinking now is,

"Is it possible to move from being an introvert to an extrovert?"

The answer is "Yes", but it takes time and a lot of work, especially on God's end of things.

As a kid growing up I never really considered myself a complete introvert, I was more of a mediocre introvert. I was actively involved in sports and church youth group activities all throughout middle school and high school, and did not shy away from being class clown and was honored to be labeled that. But, one thing I did lack in was self-confidence when placed in certain situations. And I believe that is one area that all introverts struggle with. 

What I have learned over the years was that with self confidence comes wisdom, the wisdom of God's Word. I believe that is the key to being transformed from an introvert to an extrovert, becoming confident in who you are through God's Word and what He says and thinks about you individually.

As for my transformation, it was a gradual change over the years while getting involved in ministry and the mistakes and failures along the way. But, that's where God's grace comes in. He doesn't find fault in our failures and mistakes, He just uses them so that we may improve. And not just for His liking, but so that we may be able to use those talents and skills we have been given to help others.

There is so much more I would like to add, so I will conclude this on my next post.





 






No comments:

Post a Comment