Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Learning Through Preparation


I have suddenly realized within my joy of teaching, that I myself am learning,too. Especially within the preparation of my teachings.
Sometimes while I am teaching others, I will come to the realization that I also need to hear and act upon what I am teaching.
This is a good thing!

A good mechanism to remember when teaching: don't expect others to adhere to your words of wisdom if you, yourself cannot follow that same wisdom.

While doing my homework in preparation for a study on the Book of James, I came across a significant commentary quote by Mathew Henry in regards to James chapter 4:

"Submit yourselves to God, for He is ready to do you good."

Sometimes we forget that God wants nothing but the best for our lives. We forget that we are sons and daughters of the Most High King. In chapter four, James asks us to just be honest with God, humble ourselves before Him, especially when we feel we have done Him wrong. A humble, contrite heart is what God is after.

7 So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

 8 Come close to God, and God will come close to you.

10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up in honor. (James 4)

You choose how much of God you want in your life. God is more than eager to get close to you if you allow Him to.

Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear.
If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment,
and this shows that we have not fully experienced His perfect love. ( 1 John 4:18 NLT)

Just recently when I came across this version of 1 John 4:18, what struck me was I could never honestly remember a time where I had a fear of being punished from God. Even when I wasn't living the way I should have been, that fear never arose. Maybe it was from growing up in a Christian environment my entire life, and spending my childhood with my Pastoral grandfather.

Not everyone has experienced that luxury of a Christian upbringing, so I can't say I relate to everyone of different levels of faith. I can only teach what I know and live by.

If you find yourself struggling with fear or lack of peace, just know that God loves you and He wants to draw close to you.
Find a quiet place each day where you can dwell on God's love through His Word and through worship.

Next week I will post some good habits to form to draw you closer to Him. In the meantime, if you live in an area with no access to a Bible, click on www.biblegateway.org for more of God's encouraging Word.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment