Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Caution: Side Effects to Praise

She's always smiling in the office.

She's always either singing,whistling, or humming a tune.

Whenever she enters a room, peace automatically enters with her.

I have never ever, in a little over ten years at my job,see one of my co-workers get: mad,disgruntled,discombobulated,nor sad. Yes, that is amazing! And how does she do it?

One simple answer: praise .

Whenever my co-worker stops in by my "morning" desk (yep, I have 2 desks, lucky me)
to see if I need help, she immediately starts humming or singing to whatever worship song I have being played on my computer. As a former worship leader she understands the importance of praise, and its affect on one's day.

You do not necessarily have to be a worship leader nor a former one either, to understand praise and it's affect on your day.

Praise is what God asks us to do. You can pick out any one of the 150 Psalms and you are bound to find the word praise .

Praise has some amazing side effects:

1.Joy

Don't you think that God wants His people that choose to follow Him to be happy?

But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;
may they be happy and joyful.
(Psalm 68:3)

2. Praise releases us from the ill-fated emotions we may be carrying

Do you really want to feel horrible and stuck in the mud everyday?

I will be glad and rejoice in Your mercy,
For You have considered my trouble;
You have known my soul in adversities,
And have not shut me up into the hand of the enemy;
You have set my feet in a wide place.
(Psalm 31:7,8)

3. Praise brings us peace in all circumstances

Yes, its hard to praise God when your going through a difficult time, but aren't we supposed to trust Him and actually show it?

But may all who seek You rejoice and be glad in You;
May those who long for your saving help always say, "The Lord is great!"

(Psalm 40:16)

4. Praise gives God glory

I will be glad and rejoice in You;
I will sing praises to Your Name, O Most High.
(Psalm 9:2)

5. Praise lifts up and encourages those around you

How can we set a good example and show others we trust in God if we ourselves are unhappy and discouraged.

I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart;
I will tell of all Your marvelous works.
((Psalm 9:1)

6. And finally, praise makes your day go so much better

Especially when you start the day the right way by choosing to declare:

This is the day the Lord has made;
I will rejoice and be glad in it.
(Psalm 118:24)

Now if you feel like you can't sing, but like to sing, ain't no better place to sing than in your car on your way to work. Just as breakfast being the most important meal of the day, so is starting your day in praise. You'll be amazed at how praise can affect your entire day, no matter what your going through.

2 comments:

  1. Good advice. I really need to do this more often. Sometimes I get tired of how things are going, and I need to remember the Lord and ask him to "tune my heart to sing his praise."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i listen to some worship music on my way to work and it works.

      Delete