Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mans Best Friend



Lost Dog
Peed on the couch,
Chewed the kids toys up,
And dug up the backyard,
WE STILL WANT HIM BACK!


Along with all of the more important details this sign was posted in my neighborhood one day while walking Francis the Dog. I believe this pretty much sums up how any dog owner would feel like when they're dog has gone missing. And unfortunately this past week I found out how hard it is to also lose your best friend. Francis died an old pup, just turned 16 and yes, you could say he lived a full life.

I don't know who coined the phrase "mans best friend is his dog", but it has been around for many years. And one of the true stories it was derived from happened in 1923, the story of Hachiko, the faithful dog who waited 9 years for his master to return.(you can read my review of this in my blog archives:August 2011)

Francis the Dog was more than a best friend, he was a true faithful companion; it was a bond that could not be broken. He fulfilled his purpose in life by bringing joy to the many people who knew him or ever met him. Francis loved his daily walks and runs, he would literally howl when I came home from work and would grab his leash to place on him.. And at the end of our walks I would unleash him on the porch and another happy howl came out of him.

Our daily walks through the neighborhood each day brought smiles to new faces. On some days the kids playing in the park would come running to greet and pet Francis. Silly kids always thought Francis the Dog was a wolf(he had 2 different color eyes and did resemble a wolf). Sometimes when he was sniffing around a Stop sign, a car would come by and you
could literally see the driver and passenger smile at the sight of Francis. His unique features and personality is what attracted people to him. He was a great dog.

Everyone who ever came by the house for family events or football barbeques had the same view of Francis, he was always just one step behind me no matter what room I entered. I could get up from my computer and go to the bathroom and Francis would proceed to follow and wait outside the door for me. I couldn't even get up and go to the kitchen for a glass of water without him being right there beside me. There is a great message here on faithfulness which I will share tomorrow; and it coincides with the book Cat and Dog Theology.

One humorous story of Francis the Dog that a friend reminded me of the other day:

About 4 years ago we were having a family get-to-gether, we were all in the backyard tossing the Nerf football around with the kids while Francis frolicked through the yard(one of his favorite things to do). The football went over a 3 foot high fence into the neighbor's yard, and I hopped over to get it. As I tried to climb back over, football in hand, Francis began barking at me as if we were playing rough-house together. He literally did not want me to come back over the fence, but I knew he was playing. As I hopped over, Francis the Dog leaped about 5 feet into the air and took a bite of my arm. I knew he was just playing and I still have those teeth marks to prove it. Yep, that was Francis, he loved to run,frolic, and play.

Francis the Dog was one heckuva dog. Thanks buddy for bringing joy into so many people's lives. You will be missed and never forgotten. Ever.

2 comments:

  1. There are few things in life as satisfying as a good companion. It is amazing, how well some pets can take care of their owners.

    ReplyDelete