Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I Was Here

I wanna do somethin' that matters
Say somethin' different
Somethin' that sets the whole world on it's ear.

I wanna do somethin' better with the time I've been given
and I want to try to touch a few hearts in this life.

To leave nothing less than something that says
I was here
.
- Lady Antebellum's "I Was Here"


Lately I've been thinking about these three words "leaving a legacy",and it might just be because of the scandal at Penn State and the legacy of Joe Paterno being tarnished. Yep, sports figures and Hollywood icons are prone to leave us disappointed.

When you think of Penn State you automatically associate it with the football coach Joe Paterno and his over 46 years of service to the school and community. His stern politics of academics before athletics is what he built his reputation on. His players graduated at a rate of 74 percent, that is 19 points above the national average.

His athletic achievements also included: most victories by a coach (409),
35 Bowl Games,2 National Championships, and 5 undefeated seasons.

But his legacy and all of the accolades and achievements no longer matter. All because of one mistake. One Huge Mistake. Nine years ago he should have alerted police of an alleged misconduct by one of his assistants. He did tell the athletic director of the school, but should have pursued this much further, rather than cover it up.

This is the second university in recent months to have it's football program and head coach in the media for all the wrong reasons, and legacies were tarnished.

Perhaps leaving a legacy should be left to the so-called "little people" of the world,the common everyday folks like you and I.

As for me, I intend to just continue to keep doing the best that I can with the time I have and:

I will leave nothing less than something that says: I was here.

No comments:

Post a Comment