Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I Beg to Differ on Thanksgiving

A conversation with a couple of friends at work on whether football or any other sport should be played on Christmas Day because it is such a spiritual holiday, led to this great debate: Is Christmas the more spiritual holiday rather than Thanksgiving Day?

The most obvious answer would be Christmas Day, the day we celebrate Jesus birth.
But, I beg to differ if we are talking about those of us who are consistently faithful in our walk with Christ. Then the obvious choice should be Thanksgiving Day.

If you are walking straight with God then you are already celebrating His birth every single day you wake up and breathe; otherwise you wouldn't choose the lifestyle you lead.

Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks to God for all that He has provided us with in the past year."

I, for one, love Thanksgiving better than Christmas. Perhaps it is because I have grown to where the basic necessities in life play a more important role for me than wanting something extravagant.

I know you are probably asking yourself," Thanksgiving better than Christmas,Dave?Your kidding, right? You don't get any gifts for Thanksgiving, but at Christmas time you can really rake in the presents!"

But, that's just it, there aren't any gifts that I really want. I have everything I need. I feel that I am already blessed. And there are so many more people out there who are less fortunate than I am. Isn't that what Thanksgiving really is all about; being grateful for the things we have and also being able to give to those who are in need?

Sure, I could use a new car, a vacation, an increase in salary, but who wouldn't desire any of those things?

I've been blessed to hop on a plane and take a vacation every six months for the last 3 years. So, I am eternally grateful for that and the things I have.

I remember having this true story relayed to me by someone, a story on gratefulness:

A gentleman came up to the preacher one Sunday after church and asked him to pray for him. The man felt like he was struggling in his faith and felt that everything in his life wasn't going right.

The preacher worked with the gentleman on making a list of pro's and con's in his life at that moment.

The preacher starts with a list of cons:

"So, I heard both you and your wife lost your jobs?"

"No, we still have our jobs,Pastor."

"I also heard that your house is up for foreclosure."

"No, Pastor, our house is paid for!" exclaimed the man.

"Someone had also mentioned that your son is stricken with cancer."

"No, our son is perfectly healthy, Pastor."


"Then, what in the world do you have to fret about,son?"


Sometimes it is the simple things in life that get forgotten.

Even if you may be struggling, I pray that this Thanksgiving will be a most blessed one for you and that you may find at least one thing to be grateful for.
I know I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment