Thursday, August 12, 2010

What's in a Name?

"Now when I go into the Hall today, I'm not going in alone. You see, I'm carrying my grandfather, I'm carrying my father and I'm carrying my son along with me; because I bear all their names. Now, I have to say to my dad and to my son, our name will be forever enshrined into the history of football."

These words were spoken by Emmitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys at his induction speech into the NFL Hall of Fame last weekend. He also told the story of a conversation he had with his father while sitting together at last year's Super Bowl and finding out about his being voted into the Hall of Fame. His father wanted to play professional football, but never got the chance to go to college. Emmitt said he was living his father's dream, fulfilling his own dream and fulfilling God's purpose in his life.

Whether you are a man or woman you can look back at your parents and grandparents and see traces of them within your own life's work and actions. Sometimes we tend to forget, not our last name, but what that last name may have been through and meant throughout history. I unfortunately cannot trace back too far in history my last name because my father lost his parents in an accident when he was about five or six years old. But I can carry on and bear that name and set an example for future generations in my family.

There are many out there who share the same story as Emmitt Smith, especially athletes. I admire those that do become successful and never forget where they came from, and share that wealth with their parents,family,and community.

Carrying on with pride that name you have been given is important. It is even found in the Book of Ecclesiastes to be so:

Ecclesiastes 7:1- A good name is better than precious ointment,
And the day of death than the day of one's birth;


People will remember you more at your death for that life that you led.

Winston Churchill once said,

"We make a living by what we get,
We make a life by what we give."

No matter your lot in life, live each day to the fullest. Carry on with pride the name that you've been given. It will make a difference for generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment