Sunday, December 27, 2009

Playing Santa Has It's Rewards

As little children we all most likely were sold into believing in the "man in the red suit". I think that was our first lesson in actually believing in something. Then, as we got older, the reality of the "man with the fat belly" wore off, probably when we caught our parents sneaking the gifts under the tree.



When my older sister's two kids were younger, ages 2 and 4, they were enrolled in a Kindercare Daycare school. At Christmas time they were preparing to do a pageant. Little did I know that "someone" had volunteered me to play the role of Santa Claus!



At first I was a little hesitant when eventually asked, but then I kind of got excited about the whole thing. Of all the Christmas plays I had done in school and church, and never getting the lead role, this was finally my big break. A breakthrough in letting my acting skills come to life.



I approached the day with bold confidence. I wanted my acting skills to be so impeccable that these kids would really, truly believe that I was the one and only Santa Claus. Unfortunately my acting was a little too good.



At the end of the pageant I entered and approached the stage much to the delight of everyone. And then it happened. About 30 kids began to cling to me all at once, tugging at any part of my suit that their tiny little fingers could take hold of. Once some of the teachers were able to restore some kind of order, I began my civic North Pole duty of giving out presents to each child.



Just as soon as I handed out the first present, I felt some small hands tugging at my suit again. To my backside stood a little boy about four years old. He asked where my reindeer were, and of course I didn't want to blow my cover, so I told him my sleigh and reindeer were on the roof.

"Can I see them?" he curiously asked.

Silly me I answered, "Sure, just as soon as I give out all these presents."



My thinking was that once he got his present and opened it he would forget all about seeing the reindeer. Boy was I wrong! Once he had opened his gift his attention did not draw nigh. His persistence in seeing the reindeer only grew stronger. He was on me until the last present was gone from under the tree.



As parents started making requests for pictures with their children and Santa, this little boy's mother finally would intervene and rescue me. She would pry her son's tiny fingers from my suit then apologize for his tenacious behavior. She forced his coat on him and literally began to drag him away as he kicked, screamed, and cried. All the way out the door you could hear him shout,

"I want to see Santa's reindeer! I want see his reindeer!"


What I'll remember most about that day is the innocent belief that was in the eyes of that little child. He really, truly believed that I was Santa Claus.


Little children are open, trusting, and transparent.

"Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, will by no means enter it." (Lk.18:17)

Here God is saying that's all it takes to come to Him is having the faith of a child.

One of the more often used illustrations on childlike faith is that of a child on a swing at the park:
"C'mon daddy, push me harder so I can go higher and higher!"
The child then musters up enough courage to take that giant leap from the swing and into the arms of their father, knowing full well he will catch them.

As the New Year approaches, test God in your situation. Believe in Him with a childlike faith.
It's so easy even a 4 year old can do it!















No comments:

Post a Comment