Friday, April 15, 2016

Significant Sticks




It is rare to see an image within nature that stays intact through rain, snow and wind, unless it is an unmovable object like a tree, plant, bush, or body of water. Three weeks ago on Good Friday, I encountered on an early morning walk the exact same image depicted in this photo to which I shot yesterday.

 
Here in Chicago we weathered through all kinds of crazy storms the last 3 weeks and yet this cross made of sticks is still intact. It is ironic that this is one memorial atop of another. It sits atop a memorial bench made out of a tree in memory of a gentleman who loved his walks in the woods.
 
On that somber day of remembering and reflecting, I never would have noticed the sticks made into a cross, but a gentleman that I passed on the trails at this particular spot pointed it out to me, and with his foreign accent would say, "Look! How significant for today."

Yes, it was the most perfect moment in probably the most unusual place and not something I was expecting but God has a way of making his point. I am intrigued to say the least at how this cross has yet to be moved from it's spot especially, like I said, with all the crazy weather we've had lately.

Suppose this apparent unmovable object symbolizes us standing firm in Christ no matter what storms we face?

And a great reminder of Christ's sacrifice for us.

Let me now remind you, dear brothers and sisters, of the Good News I preached to you before. You welcomed it then, and you still stand firm in it. I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me.

Christ died for our sins, just as the scripture said. He was buried, and He was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said.
- 1 Corinthians 15:1, 3-4

May we always stand firm in the hope that lies before us.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment