Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Blessed and Wrecked all in One Sitting


"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?"
- Martin Luther King, Jr.


If there ever was a feeling of being blessed and having a conscience of guilt all at once, I felt it one day while on vacation. At the same time I was enjoying a dinner near the ocean with sunshine and palm trees, 3,000 miles away in Chicago on a cold winter's night, a team from my church were feeding the homeless.


Yep, such a vast difference in table settings and view. Sometimes we get lost in the habit of taking things for granted, especially here in America. If we can get into the right habit of feeling blessed with the basic essentials: clean drinking water, electricity and heat, a warm comfy bed, hot running water for showers, and a refrigerator filled with food, then maybe, just maybe, we will let our conscience be our guide.

I do consider myself a giving person whether I'm at home or 3,000 miles away, so I rarely carry with me a conscience of guilt. But I do think God does bring thoughts to our mind of how really blessed we are at times, if maybe to just nudge us to do more. I am thankful for everything I have and carry a grateful heart, but now I am ready to give more because I am blessed!

 If you feel you are blessed with the basic necessities of life, and you feel like you want to give more because you are blessed, and you are looking for a worthy cause to give to, click on the link on my homepage to Mercy Gate International. Our Night Ministry serves the homeless in Chicago twice a month.

 Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.” (Luke 6:38)

As long as you give with a grateful heart, expecting nothing in return, God knows and sees your heart and will bless you even more.

So thankful for that nudge God brought to me, if anything, to make me realize how blessed I really am!







No comments:

Post a Comment