Tuesday, September 9, 2014

At a Loss For Words



"The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause."
- Mark Twain
 
Sonny was a cab driver who would throw in a load of laundry at the laundromat and then stop in my establishment for a cup of coffee and talk. The business I owned at the time was a Christian Music Store Coffeehouse, and everyday I would get curious and thirsty customers from this laundromat. It was an open door for me to minister to those in need and to those who were just curious in this man we call Jesus.
 
Most of the times when Sonny would stop in he was a bit tipsy from drinking, but not enough to where I couldn't reach him where he needed it most. This poor guy was hurting deeply inside, living in a motel, and had his wife in a nursing home. 
 
Sonny's interest peaked each time we talked, he was like a little kid in Sunday School. One day he asked me how to pray to God, so I showed him how, but Sonny felt he wouldn't be able to express his feelings verbally. So, I gave him the idea of just writing a letter to God and then read it to him. Sonny asked God to help him get his wife into a nursing home closer to where he was living at. I told him I would pray for him and his wife,too.
 
A couple weeks later Sonny came into the store with the biggest grin you could ever ask for in someone who had been hurting for years. His wife had been moved into a nursing home close to where Sonny had been living at.
 
Believe it or not there are still believers out there who think the only way to approach God is with an established prayer carrying big theological words. But, as I mentioned in last week's post, God wants us to approach Him like a little child; thinking of Him as our Father.
 
When you begin to think of yourself as a Son or Daughter to the Heavenly Father, your prayers become as a little child's cry for help to their father.
 
For all the promises of God are Yeah and Amen. (2Cor.1:20)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment