Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A Blast from the Past: Amazing and True



"The only thing better than singing is more singing." 
- Ella Fitzgerald

During a recent lunch break at work, a friend and I had a conversation about singing. I decided to share with them the following story, which in itself is amazing and speaks volumes about God's grace and our enjoyment of praising Him no matter what we sound like:

I can't remember the woman's name but she reminded me a lot like Aunt Bea of the old Andy Griffith Show. The lady came into my music store faithfully every two weeks to pick out accompaniment tracks to sing at church. I think it was about the second time she visited where she had the boldness to ask if I'd mind her singing while listening to certain songs she had picked out. Of course I didn't mind, since there was no one in the store at the time.Boy, I am sure glad the store was empty when she sang, if you get my drift. She had a hard time carrying a note, I don't know if it was the style of music she chose or whether she just wasn't giving it her all, but I appreciated her enthusiasm of singing praises to the Most High.

After a few month's of visiting and purchasing new songs to sing, the woman disappeared. I knew the church she attended, so I would ask some of my regular customers, but to no avail I didn't receive any answers. Then one day a couple of months later, a newly appointed music director came into the store. As I began to chat with her I found out she was from the same church as the old lady who couldn't sing. The music director shared the following story:

"It was a Good Friday service and the old lady was singing a duet with the music director, the old hymn
It is Finished was their selection. After the very first verse was sung, the music director passed out and was dead in a few short minutes. Although the music director went to heaven doing what he loved to do, this tragic experience made her stop singing."

After the woman shared this story my heart just sank. I felt bad for the old lady because I knew how much she enjoyed singing. I began to pray for her daily for the next few days and weeks. About a month later she finally came back into the store. This time around I didn't care how she sounded and who was in the store, she could sing as much as she wanted to. I didn't mention to her what I had known, but as the tears flowed through my eyes all I could say was, "Welcome back".




No comments:

Post a Comment