Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My Country Tis of Thee


"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain

Who would've thought you could get a spiritual revelation at the Golden Corral?
Upon our trek to West Virginia last Sunday, we stopped in Dayton Ohio at the Golden Corral for lunch. It was way past noon and my stomach said, "Feed me", and I often oblige to the rumbling of hunger pains. The restaurant was packed both in the dining area and the waiting area. It was about the time those southern church-goers break for lunch after a late church service. About 90 percent of the patrons were dressed in their Sunday best: men in suits and ties, and the women in their flowered spring dresses and fancy hats. Geez, even the little tikes were dressed in style; wonder how the parents coaxed them out of their Nike's?

I don't recognize Dayton Ohio as a Southern Bible-belt state, but it sure felt like it. I enjoyed seeing all of those faithful church-goers dressed in their Sunday styles. Then, my imagination went wild as I thought how different it is on a Sunday, where I live in the 'burbs of Chicago.

On most Sundays after church, if I frequent a store or restaurant all I see is t-shirts and blue jeans and my mind wanders off in wonder, "Did anyone in this store go to church today?"

Yes, they could have went to a Saturday evening service at their church, so I don't judge. But I am
old school when it comes to having church on Sunday; there's just something special about that.

Although our culture can and has changed, I choose to stay old school when it comes to church on Sunday. Hmm, I think I would enjoy living in the South....even West Virginia.

I learned a lot on this trip, so I will share more on my next couple of posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment