Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Grandpa's Are Unique and Special


"It was pretty amazing I scored a goal the first time I touched the puck."

Chicago Blackhawks Patrick Kane actually went on to score 2 goals, just after hearing before the game that his grandfather had just passed away. Kane didn't mention anything to his teammates until after the game. Tears were streaming down his face as he spoke to reporters after the game, as he referred to his grandfather as his best buddy, one he counted on throughout his life.

As I watched the game and his emotional postgame remarks about his grandfather, it kind of struck a cord with myself  and the relationship I had with my grandfather. Take nothing away from fathers, but there is something important and special with grandfathers. They carry with them alot of wisdom, and I believe you learn more from them as a kid because the bond is different. There may be some things you don't feel comfortable talking to your father about, but grandfathers carry with them a different set of standards; higher standards because they are the patriarchs of an entire family, not just their own sons and daughters..

Iv'e probably blogged, taught, and preached more stories about my grandfather than of anyone else. He was not only a great preacher, but one who's relationship with Christ resembled that of King David, one who loved to worship the King of Kings.

 Having spent much of my childhood doing things with my grandfather (no fault on my father's part, he worked hard 6 days a week) I saw many miracles done through my grandfather, and I learned the importance of worshiping God with every fiber of your being.  That's how God gets things done for His glory, choosing the most humble of servants, who's only desire is to worship God and share His love with others.

One of many magazine articles written about my grandfather, told the story of how he reached a man who didn't want to be reached:

There was a woman at church who wanted one of the ministers to come to her home to speak to her atheist husband. But, she didn't want my grandfather to do it, she felt that sometimes he could be long-winded and hard-driven at times, and that would make her husband hate God even more. On a side note, I watched him minister to people but eloquently used special tactics according to that person's personality. In this case, my grandfather called the home and simply invited the man to go fishing with him. That fishing trip turned out to be just that, fishing. My grandfather didn't try to get him saved or throw any scripture verses his way, he just showed love upon the man.

A couple of weeks later, the man called the church and wanted to meet my grandfather there. My grandmother relays the story of how she walked into the church and saw the two men kneeling at the altar, my grandfather's arm around the man whose eyes were filled with tears. A month later this man passed away. But he didn't really pass away, he went on to spend eternity with the Risen King. The One who doesn't pass judgement on what men may have done in the past.

Love conquers all.

Love can reach more people than trumping them over-the-head with what the Bible says they shouldn't do.

If you are a grandfather, use your wisdom wisely, spend time with your grandkids, show them a love that only you can give them.
Their counting on you.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment