Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Apologies Accepted

When I first saw the headline: Saints lineman is really sorry that he was a jerk in college, it naturally peaked my interest. Carl Nicks of the world champion New Orleans Saints returned to his alma mater Nebraska to apologize and make amends for his past behavior (skipped classes, arrested at a house party for disorderly conduct) while attending there. When approached with the question of why he was doing this, he simply replied:

"I'm not who I was then, it just kind of hurts to know I made a fool of myself."

And as soon as I read that quote my reaction was, "Oh my gosh, how I can relate to that!"

Thankfully we have a God who forgives us of the foolishness we may have done in the past. And we need not reflect any further on our past but forge ahead in life and the things that God has planned for our lives. If we dwell on past mistakes we draw further away from the One who has already forgiven us of our past. In the Old Testament the verb forgive shows up 50 times. And each time it is God who is doing the forgiving. God's ability to forgive is so great that David wrote:

As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions(sins) from us.
(Ps.103:12)

Giving out apologies and making amends is a good quality trait for each of us to have.

In a Seinfeld episode called The Apology, George gets upset when he doesn't receive an apology from a past friend who is going through AA and is on step nine which is making amends. All of George's friends are receiving apologies except him.
George goes to great lengths to get his apology. He pursues the guy all over town and even meets with the AA sponsor and demands he receive his apology. The sponsor notices George's frustration and anger over not getting a simple "I'm sorry" that he winds up bringing George to a Rage aholics meeting.

If we don't receive an apology from someone who may have done us wrong, don't hold it against them, be the better person and just move on.

If we go to God with a contrite heart He will forgive us of past mistakes.

What Carl Nicks is doing is pretty honorable to say the least. I believe Carl's honesty will have a great impact on the students there on the campus of Nebraska.

One of the best ways to make amends of your past is living out today exemplifying the One who has forgiven all of your mistakes.

I am not who I used to be. And I am glad for what I've become. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment