Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Are You More Than Who You Appear To Be?

This American Bison, otherwise known as a buffalo, weighs over 1300 pounds. He doesn't look like he can run as fast as a speeding bullet, but he can. Buffalo can actually reach a speed of 40 mph. I got to witness this speed first hand at the zoo last week as 2 of these big guys hoofed their way around 2 pens. They were moving so fast you could actually hear their hoofs pattering upon the ground with a thunderous sound. At first glance you would never suspect these guys to move so quickly.

I sometimes have the tendency to call my younger sister "my baby sister" only because she is small in size compared to my brothers and I. At first glance you would never suspect this 30-something gal as being someone who is strong. But looks are deceiving.

About 12 years ago my baby sister's husband left her with 2 little kids just before Christmas time. It was pretty much a huge shock to everyone as the 2 of them grew up in the same church and there were no visible signs of anything wrong. But it happened. Needless to say my parents were outraged at what he had done to their daughter, but they did what any loving parent would and should do, made the sacrifices that were needed and let her move back home with the 2 young one's. My sister was able to find a full time job during the day and my parents would watch the kids. Each of us siblings pitched in to do our part as well to help encourage her. And of course, there was a whole lot of praying.That was probably the most I ever prayed for one person up until now.

The next couple of years I watched my sister literally grow up. She tackled the challenge head on as her faith in herself and in God grew stronger. My sister eventually got an apartment close to my parents and things began to work in her favor in all areas of her life. A couple years after that she would meet her future husband, a good hard working guy who loves kids. She is now happily married with 3 kids. Yes, prayer works!

I can no longer call her my baby sister for it is I who looks up to her.



Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.
For our light affliction , which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,
while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen.
For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
(2Cor.4:16-18)
It's those challenges in life that sharpens our faith, and helps us grow into mature individuals.
But it is up to us to find that courage within us to slay those giants in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment