Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Power of an Ant and a Dump Truck


"You think you can stop the future? You're just a thief!"

"No, I'm the Ant-Man!...I know, it wasn't my idea."



The other day while driving on a busy road I noticed a dump truck full of concrete storming by.
What came to mind wasn't the reckless way these guys drive, but the power these guys must feel when driving these monstrosities on the road. Oh to have that kind of power, not just on the road but everyday and in every situation.

I recently viewed the new superhero film The Ant-Man and found it to be a lot of fun and quite moving in it's message on power. I don't believe that it was meant to bring forth a message as much as to entertain, but it was most definitely thought provoking.
I won't indulge you with much of the film, but I do suggest you see it; you and your kids will thoroughly enjoy this film.

While the main character Scott is learning how to use the Ant-Man suit and how to miniaturize himself to the size of an ant, he also learns all about the variety of ants there are and how to use them to his advantage. Here are some facts about ants you may not know:

1. Ants can survive and thrive in conditions that would challenge us individuals.

2. Ants are capable of carrying objects 50 times their own body weight.
Ever see an ant carry a french fry?

3. There are at least 1.5 million ants on the planet for every human being.

4. Ants will enslave other ants, keeping them captive and making them do work for the colony.
Ants will work together to get their mission accomplished, even if it's carrying a bread crumb for everyone to feed on.

And, in case you didn't know, ants are even mentioned in the Bible:

Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones. Learn from their ways and become wise.
- Proverbs 6:6

Ants- they aren't strong, but they store up food all summer. - Proverbs 30:25

In a biblical sense we are taught to be wise like the ant, but what about the power?

I think we can all relate to the comparison of a dump truck versus the ant. Especially us kids who were involved in sports. I may not have been the biggest or strongest of the kids on the teams I played on, but I did carry with me an inner strength; a drive to excel no matter how big the competition was.

Sometimes we get caught up in that whole power struggle whether it's in sports or in the business world, and may even second guess our abilities. But no matter what we say or think, God says differently,

"For I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Whether you feel like the size of an ant at certain times you can have the power of a dump truck, you just need to believe.

"Scott, I need you to be the Ant-Man."

"One question...Is it too late to change the name?"






 

No comments:

Post a Comment